This Spring: Improve your Home's Value and Boost your Curb Appeal!
If you're like many homeowners, you think of two things: How much is my home worth, and What can i do to improve its value?
You're home's value depends on many factors, including its location, age, size and condition. While you may not be able to do anything about your home's location or age, there are things that you can do to improve its size and condition and add value!
BOOST YOUR HOME'S CURB APPEAL
Curb appeal isn't just the concern of home sellers. Even homeowners who wish to stay put are putting time and effort into maintaining the curb appeal of their homes. Since most people will only see your home from the street, how well your property is kept from the outside provides a glimpse into how well it's maintained on the inside.
5 EASY WAYS TO BOOST YOUR HOME'S CURB APPEAL
1. Maintain your lawn. Mow, pull weeds and make sure your walkways are free of debris.
2. Keep your hedges in check. Well-maintained hedges and shrubs improve the look of your property.
3. Clean your windows and gutters. This isn't just for aesthetics; it's good home maintenance as well.
4. Maintain your home's exterior. Keep your home looking like new with a new coat of paint every few years, replace your roof when necessary and make repairs on time.
5. Spring for new home accents. Spice things up with new house numbers, a fresh coat of paint on your shutters or colorful plants and flowers in your window boxes or garden beds.
RENOVATIONS THAT PAY OFF
After you have taken care of the exterior curb appeal, the next place to look to update your home's value in the INTERIOR.
Remodeling is a great way to bring your home up-to-date, adapt to your changing family needs and improve its value. If you're planning on selling, making a few basic home improvements may make your home more attractive to potential buyers.
5 RENOVATIONS THAT OFFER THE BIGGEST RETURNS
1. A new front door. (Return on investment, 96%) Refresh your entry way and impress potential buyers with a new front door. If your current front door is in good condition, consider painting or staining it to make it look as good as new.
2. A wooden deck addition. (Return on investment, 87%) Improve the indoor/outdoor versatility of your home by adding a wood deck.
3. An attic bedroom. (Return on investment, 84%) Bedrooms are a versatile addition to your home. They can serve as a bedroom, a guest room or a home office. An attic bedroom makes the use of this often underutilized space and adds value to your home.
4. A new garage door. (Return on investment, 83%) If your garage doors are old and dated, replacing them will add value to your home. If they are still in good shape, paint them to enhance the look of your home.
5. A minor kitchen remodel. (Return on investment, 82%) The kitchen is one of the most popular renovations that homeowners tackle. A minor remodel can update the space and entice potential buyers.
3 QUICK TRICKS TO GET YOUR HOME READY TO SELL
- Clean and Clear. Dust the cobwebs from the ceiling and fixtures, deep clean the carpets and shine up your windows. And while you're at it, clear away any clutter, and store or give away unused items.
- Paint. A bit of paint goes a long way to make your home shine like new. Stick with neutral tones for interior spaces so that potential buyers can see themselves in the home.
- Repair and Replace. Walk through your home and look for any creaks and cracks to repair. Replace any broken or dated fixtures, or any burned out light bulbs, for maximum impact.